Re: [GnomeMeeting-devel-list] GnomeMeeting in the very near future

First of all, I agree with most of that mail and Rodney's remarks are
also very pertinent.

> Look in lib/contacts: the api declared in gm_contacts.h is implemented
> in gm_contacts-eds.cpp through eds, and in gm_contacts-gm_conf.cpp
> through nothing yet (it is stub code to get gm to compile without gnome,
> to help the win32 port). That means there is much more code than should
> be (if only gnome would mostly run on win32...)

Yes, doing the win32 port should be very easy for the addressbook as
there are only a few operations.

> > > -4- People are asking me for a way to be able to interoperate with GM
> >
> > OK. What does "interoperate" mean here? There are many ways to
> > interoprate with gnomemeeting already. What specifically are people
> > trying to do?
>
> That is a *very* good question, and in fact, instead of wondering
> whether to use this or that technology, we should perhaps write how we
> would like to use gnomemeeting (ie: what api do we want to 'export',
> whatever that means).

For GNOME/KDE, we will have DBUS.
For Win32, we will have a portable sockets mechanism. I'll start by this
one as DBUS is not ready yet.

What I foresee is :
- be able to run GM in a minimal mode showing only the local and remote
user in one window with a disconnect button and a right-click menu.
- the API will essentially permit to call a given URL (already possible)
and to disconnect.
- access to the prefs will be done through the right click menu if
people want to change their advanced settings

I don't see much more to do.

I foresee a portable API with 2 implementations : one for DBUS, one for
the socket.

I don't think it is possible to automatically start gnomemeeting on the
remote side. But I see this scenario,
- Gaim starts, the plugin is enabled, GnomeMeeting is started in minimal
mode but hidden
- I right-click on Julia's name, it passes the IP to the local
GnomeMeeting and Julian is called.

Not even sure the minimal mode is required.

--
Damien Sandras <damien sandras it-optics com>