Re: [GnomeMeeting-devel-list] Fw: [patch] ILS charset

Hi Damien!

Am Sam, 2003-09-13 um 19.46 schrieb Damien Sandras:
> We have to make things more automatic here. I don't think it is a good
> idea to give the possibility to the user to change the charset. Most
> users don't know what it is, and UTF-8 does support cyrillic.
I guess that the whole trouble is caused by braindead NetMeeting using
CP-1251 charset for cyrillic. In my eyes the best idea would be to
ensure that the ILS server itself uses UTF-8 only and makes sure that,
if necessary, other charsets are converted to UTF-8 if a client connects
and requests a directory listing. Of course I really don't have any idea
how NM will behave in that case but unifying the character encodings is
without a doubt better than introducing even more CEs (especially the
stupid M$ pseudo standard crap like CP-????).

Unifying font encodings on the ILS' side would of course be quite a lot
of work, I'm afraid.

Christian

--
JOIN - IP Version 6 in the WiN  Christian Strauf
A DFN project                   Westfälische Wilhelms-Universität Münster