[GnomeMeeting-devel-list] Re: [GnomeMeeting-devel-list] Re: [GnomeMeeting-devel-list]Vanilla kernels in distribs question

Our nice gm master wrote:
> I don't like it either, but we must find a solution to the
problem where
> the user doesn't have /proc info for the video, at least as
a fallback.
> Notice that OSS is also using that dirty way of detecting
devices, only
> ALSA has a good and clean way to detect available devices.

Well, as I said, if all distributions' kernels ship with that
option, then it is not really a problem: surely you don't want
to add a workaround for people who forgot to compile the v4l
drivers in their kernel!?

I would think a nice and explicit message to stderr "You
forgot to put ... in your kernel!" would be enough...

And I don't like the oss plugin's way of detecting devices
either. But since it is disappearing in favor of alsa, it
isn't an issue.