Re: [GnomeMeeting-devel-list] ILS IPv6 support. We need concepts !!!

Hi sd!

> ILS:
> A attribute sipv6Address has to be included in netmeeting.schema of
> openldap.Netmeeting won't request this attribute...
Yes, I support this idea. This would be the cleanest way to do it, I believe.

> GM:
> In preferences , in ISL(Directory Settings) a checkbox has to be added:
> [x] Enable IPv6 Support in ILS
>
> 	[x] Send IPv4 to ILS	[x] Show IPv4 addresses in ILS browser
> 	[x] Send IPv6 to ILS	[x] Show IPv6 addresses in ILS browser
I'd replace these options with:

	[x] Use IPv6 in ILS (if available)

If this option is checked, GM could do this:

if [ listing of ILS-server contains sipv6Address-attribute ] {
	send v4 and v6 addr.; show v4 and v6 addr.
} else {
	stay v4 only
}

> select preferred protocol...
> 	[IPv4/IPv6] Select default  protocol
I would definitely leave out this option. The handling of the addresses
(default address family, fallback, and so on...) should be left to the
application. There's no need for the user to fiddle with this. At best I'd put
this option into an "expert menu", if at all.

> Functions ;-) :
[Snipped]
As above I'd say that it'd be best to hide this functionality from the user. It
really doesn't matter _what_ GM does, as long as you get a connection (IPv6
definitely doesn't improve the connection or something like that ;-) ). Again,
I would put these options into an expert menu if at all.

But still: thanks for initializing this thread! :-)

Christian

--
JOIN - IP Version 6 in the WiN  Christian Strauf
A DFN project                   Westfaelische Wilhelms-Universitaet Muenster