Re: Re[4]: [GnomeMeeting-devel-list] SIP and GnomeMeeting - please comment

Le ven 21/02/2003 à 13:16, Kilian Krause a écrit :
> Hi Damien,

> so, as long as we have both protocols supported.. why now try to break
> them down to one major and one minor? why not keep our deck of cards
> on the table until both of them have proven which protocol does fit
> which situation better? (maybe sip for dialup and h323 for lan?)

Simply for those reasons :

- if you tell to somebody that GM is a SIP application, but that it
doesn't use sip:// but callto:// which is a home-made extension, he will
think the application is not serious. That's like if I would create a
new webbrowser that doesn't use http:// by default but some new and more
powerful URL.

- knowing how H.323 works, and the structure of OPAL, I see no way to
automatically guess what protocol to use except with ILS. If you call an
hostname, say linuxzone.ath.cx, there is no way to know if
linuxzone.ath.cx will answer to SIP, or H.323, or both. I discussed that
with Equivalence too, and they see no way either. Starting one
connection, then doing another one is not a logical option, it is a huge
hack.

- the grandma problem will always be a big problem, you can tell her to
call sip:kilian proxy seconix com, for example, or
ils:ils.seconix.com/kilian

Integrating 2 protocols in a unique application will be a major
headache.

--
Damien Sandras <dsandras seconix com>