Re[4]: [GnomeMeeting-devel-list] SIP and GnomeMeeting - please comment

Hi Damien,

>> i still like that callto:// way best.. (having h323:// and sip:// for
>> sub-definitions of callto://)
>>
>> if callto:// specs do allow that, i'd love to see something like:

DS> There are no callto:// specs, no standard, that's why I would like to
DS> keep the sip: thing as it has been standardized and people looking for a
DS> sip application would find it weird if that application didn't provide
DS> conform URLs

well sure.. maybe i should precise a bit, what my point is..
1.) i'm pro sip:// urls
2.) i think callto:// has been promoted much and should be kept
3.) if callto:// can be adapted to tell some kind of protocol-info, it
    should (and we're the ones who will)
4.) there's currently 2 major apps doing VoIP with h323: NM and GM..
    as NM isn't been worked on any more, we're free to take h323 to where
    we think it should be leaded to. Thus we can and should build up
    some "common" uri style for both of the protocol features in GM,
    which both have it's pros and cons.. so if we really succeed for a
    common denominator, this would help users to simplify the process
    of calling, as they have full feature possibility from the start
    without the need to close in on specs first (like, tell my grandma
    which protocol to use to call me ;))
5.) for sip is standardized, that's fine with me, and i don't wanna
    break it. Still it's just a notation of the fact where to find the
    counterpart of your VoIP-connection.. Therefore we can use any way
    to transfer this information, even sip-uris (and callto: and ils
    and and and...) which does have the capability to carry the
    payload of the uri (that info, whom to connect to) to both ends of
    the connection..

so, as long as we have both protocols supported.. why now try to break
them down to one major and one minor? why not keep our deck of cards
on the table until both of them have proven which protocol does fit
which situation better? (maybe sip for dialup and h323 for lan?)

--
Cheers,
 Kilian