Re: Wayland porting in gnome-settings-daemon

On Tue, Jul 02, 2013 at 02:19:47PM +0200, Bastien Nocera wrote:
Heya,

This is a short list of plugins and libraries that'll need porting for
gnome-settings-daemon to work on Wayland. Once I've had some feedback
and comments on this, I'll file the necessary bugs and update the
porting page on the wiki:
https://wiki.gnome.org/Wayland/gnome-settings-daemon

gnome-desktop is going to need porting, and that's going to be one of
the hardest bits (XRandR support including backlight, and IDLETIME
wrapper).

The most urgent plugins to port would be the keyboard, mouse, wacom, and
a11y-keyboard plugins:
- a11y-keyboard notifications could be moved to gnome-shell directly
- As gnome-shell will be handling input devices, we'll need to have
gnome-shell handle all the input device properties and enumeration for
us, or could do handle on its own (it's mostly about changing the values
for various properties). Is there code already available, a shared
library to be used by wayland compositors, a plan for the longer term?

yes, there is a plan. I'm currently working on libevdev which is the bottom
piece of the stack, but my plan is that there will be some library that
shares input code across compositors. Nothing more than a plan yet, though,
sorry.

The rest of the plugins/core below

Core:
- optional plugin load based on wayland/X11
- language and IM envvars might need reworking
- desktop_autostart_id?

a11y-settings, housekeeping, media-keys, Screensaver-proxy, smartcard,
sound:
- No porting required

clipboard:
- Needs porting to wayland
- Might need a rewrite to take full advantage

color:
- Already ported? Richard?

cursor:
- Needs porting, uses XFixes extension
- If the shell is responsible for showing/hiding the cursor, we might
move this functionality there

Wacom:
- Button grabbing for the tablets done in common/

last I checked tablets aren't really supported in wayland yet, so this
probably needs to be put on the back-burner until a graphics tablet protocol
exists.

Cheers,
   Peter

Power:
- Uses XTest directly to reset idletime

Remote-display:
- Needs porting, checks for vnc-extension

XRandR:
- Depends on gnome-desktop getting ported

XSettings:
- We shouldn't need to port this, as GTK+ would be reading the values
directly, and no translation would be necessary (what about overrides?).
Matthias?