Re: Monitor detection quirking in control centre

On Mon, 2010-11-22 at 18:23 -0600, Federico Mena Quintero wrote:
> On Mon, 2010-11-22 at 13:26 +0000, Bastien Nocera wrote:
>
> > I'm not sure this is even a problem we'd want to tackle. EDID was first
> > added to VESA 1.0 in 1994. If hardware manufacturers cannot get it right
> > after 16 years, there's no hope for them.
> >
> > And if it's a problem with the video card not handling EDID properly,
> > then the driver needs to be fixed.
>
> We *do* have a problem, however, with uncooperative crap like Nvidia.
> You plug a brand-new, quality monitor, and the stupid proprietary driver
> doesn't give you EDID and you can't fix it.

As an aside, it'd be kinda nice if the Display panel also worked with
the binary nVidia driver.  It should be possible to copy the relevant
code from (the GPLv2'd) nvidia-settings.

“Kinda nice” in an “kinda nice if someone else did it” way, though ;).

> (I agree that monitors that don't hand out EDID correctly are broken
> beyond belief, but they do happen in the real world.  "Change your
> monitor" is not something that people accept kindly) :)
>
> Normally this has been handled in the X configuration tools that distros
> provide.  I don't know if any of them actually let you create modelines,
> and exposing an UI for that sounds pretty arcane.

It's actually pretty easy to generate modelines given the desired
resolution (and optionally refresh rate); there's no reason the UI can't
simply expose “1280x1024”, “1680x1050”, or “horizontal: _________
vertical: ____________”.  The cvt/gvt tools take resolution & refresh
rate and spit out a modeline for you.

> Christopher, you may want to play with adding an "Advanced" button to
> the Display capplet^H^H^Hpanel.  I don't want to make it a substitute
> for distro tools.  But something like "scan a Windows driver to see if
> it has an EDID chunk" could be interesting.  I wouldn't want to debug it
> myself, though :)

That was along the lines of what I wanted to do, yes.