Monitor detection quirking in control centre

The detection of monitors & their appropriate modes in the kernel and
Xorg is now pretty close to as good as it's going to get.  Autodetection
is impossible for some devices, either because the monitor itself
provides no or broken EDID information or they're on the other end of a
KVM switch which doesn't forward DDC.

Drivers supporting XRandR 1.2 allow a client to add arbitrary modes, and
the kernel is growing a feature to allow EDIDs to be set for KMS
drivers.  It would be useful to have a user-facing interface for these
quirking features for monitors which we can't correctly autodetect.

Monitors quite often come with windows driver discs, and these drivers
are also commonly available on manufacturer's websites.  These “drivers”
are little more than a list of modes supported by the monitor; there's
some code floating around to parse these.

There's also a class of users who have an idea what the correct
resolution for their monitor is but aren't able to do the magic xrandr
dance to add it.

I'd like to implement some UI to support both of these use-cases - “I've
got some windows drivers here…” and “The box says it supports
1280x1024…”.  Given this previous exchange…

On Thu, 04 Nov 2010 19:32:10 +0000, Bastien Nocera wrote:

<snip>
> The problem with your thinking is that the display panel is not there to
> switch resolutions, but to allow easy setup of projectors, or external
> displays.
>
> This isn't to say that switching resolutions should be impossible, but
> it's not the goal of the tool.
>
> Rotating the screens is also not a priority, as we hope to handle that
> through key presses (there's a patch to that effect in GNOME bugzilla)
> or auto-detection (for tablet laptops).

…I'm not sure where the best place for this UI would be.  It seems that
it's probably out of scope for the Display panel, but it doesn't seem to
fit anywhere else in http://live.gnome.org/Design/SystemSettings .

Is this the sort of thing which belongs in the control centre?  If not,
where should it be?