Re: Update on Control Center 3.0

On Thu, 2010-05-20 at 01:44 +0100, Bastien Nocera wrote:
> On Wed, 2010-05-19 at 22:39 +0100, Thomas Wood wrote:
> > Hi,
> <snip>
> > Given the problems above, I've started with a new branch from master
>
> You don't mention the name of the new branch...

I thought it would be obvious by looking at git branch, but I've rebased
onto master now anyway!

> > There is a new public shared library (libgnome-control-center) to aid
> > implementation of settings panels, including an abstract base class
> > class for all panel implementations (CcPanel).
>
> What's the plan for Python apps? I'm currently working on updating
> gnome-lirc-properties for newer distributions (meaning I'm slightly
> late ;), was wondering what I should do with it in the close future.

There are no plan yet; although you could either re-write it in a
language that can create loadable modules, or add support for loading
Python classes inside gnome-control-center.

> I'll take a look at the API, and start porting a few of the capplets I
> take care of.

There are a few things I think we can change already. I think the "id"
property of CcPanel is redundant, and the "active-panel" property of
CcShell is somewhat dubious.

> Could you create a blocker bug so people can file bugs against relevant
> products that include capplets right now?

Sure, is that a blocker bug for "convert to settings panel"?

Regards,

Thomas