Re: Remove "About Me" for 3.0?

On Wed, 2010-04-14 at 15:14 +0100, Thomas Wood wrote:
> Hi,
>
> As promised I'm reviewing the extensible-shell branch and looking at
> what needs doing before it is merged into master. Currently there is no
> support for the "About Me" capplet. A while back it was suggested¹ that
> "About Me" might be replaced by the new users dialog from RedHat².

It's "Red Hat", not "RedHat" or "Redhat".

> Does anyone object to removing "About Me" now an accepting the new
> accounts dialog as the replacement?
>
> Matthias: would you be happy with the new accounts dialog moving to the
> control center repository once the extensible-shell branch as been
> merged into master?

Why can't the dialogue stay in its own module? Are the necessary headers
and libraries not exported for other modules to use? Or do you expect to
ship all the preferences ever inside gnomecc?

(Note that this isn't a theoretical problem, it's one I would have for
gnome-media's gnome-volume-control, gnome-bluetooth and
gnome-user-share)

The new accounts dialogue doesn't work on non-Linux systems, and
probably does not work well on non-Fedora systems (although we're
waiting on people actually trying it there).