Re: Control Center 3.0

On Fri, Nov 20, 2009 at 7:05 AM, Sergey Udaltsov
<sergey udaltsov gmail com> wrote:
> Hello Thomas
>
>> * a single window approach (no separate capplet windows)
> Heh, I see you want to reinvent MacOS CC, don't you ?;)
>
>> * a common way to change 'system' properties (i.e. a way to become root
>> when needed)
> How do you plan to do it so that it would work in all distros???

The fairly well-established answer to this question is to have a
system bus service that provides an api for the capplet to use.
Vendors can then provide their own implementation of the api. This
setup also makes it very easy to use PolicyKit for controlling access
to system settings.