Re: Control Center 3.0

On Sun, 2009-11-22 at 13:19 +0000, Thomas Wood wrote:
> On Fri, 2009-11-20 at 19:07 +0100, Rodrigo Moya wrote:
> > I agree on a single window approach, although I think it would be great
> > to continue having the capplets as separate apps
>
> Sounds nice, especially as we wouldn't want third party capplets causing
> bugs to reported against the control center.
>
> What would be the best way to do this these days? GtkPlug/Socket, or
> some other way?

we could have the capplets provide a .so in some known directory, and
them providing an entry point which returns a GtkWidget also, instead of
GtkPlug/GtkSocket

Then, for having them as standalone, we can have a simple binary
("gnome-preferences display" for instance) that just loads that widget?

> > > * a common way to change 'system' properties (i.e. a way to become root
> > > when needed)
> > >
> > that's a cool idea also, and using PolicyKit it should be easy, right?
>
> That's what I'd hope, although I don't know much about PolicyKit API.

I've only used it once, but it was quite easy to use. The harder stuff
is how to show the options in the UI :)