Re: appearance preferences

On Fri, Nov 13, 2009 at 10:03 AM, Rodrigo Moya <rodrigo gnome-db org> wrote:
On Wed, 2009-11-11 at 14:11 +0000, Hylke Bons wrote:
> Hello,
>
> Thomas Wood and I brainstormed  bit about how we wanted to do themes
> in GNOME 3, and clean up the interface a bit.
> The discussion started when we needed to decide what list of themes
> there should be by default and we came to the conclusion that we're
> not the people to make that decision for our users. We will have a
> default theme that's really great of course , but if the user wants
> something else it can browse the ones on art.gnome.org instead through
> an integrated interface.

looks great! but should it really be on a tab? How about a 'Install
themes' button that opens that window? Not sure if that would be better,
but since we already have tabs in the appearance capplet, that would
mean getting tabs into tabs

You are right, tabs in tabs are part of the axis of evil. This is meant to be a single window.

>  Furthermore, I think that customising  a theme should not be there at
> all, i think a theme should be used in the way the designer intended
> it to be.

right, but still, I like to select the individual themes (GTK, window
borders, icons, etc), since sometimes I don't like the whole theme

You can! With the whole collection of a stuff on art.gnome.org at your disposal, through a web interface and a one click install.

>  Instead art.gnome.or should be a community site like gnome-look.org
> with themes, but you can also compose new themes there with the whole
> spectrum of icon themes, gtk themes, window themes etc. Installing
> them from the web should be one click. A kind of "Theme Bazaar".

but users would need a way to create new themes by combining individual
GTK, window, icons themes, so are you proposing to remove the current
customization of themes in the appearance capplet?

Again, on the web, so other people can use your theme as well :)
Thanks for your comment.

Hylke

Just to make it clear after my "critics": great work! :)