Re: Ungnomifying the control center

On 30 Oct 2008, at 18:04, William Jon McCann wrote:

Hi,

On Thu, Oct 30, 2008 at 1:27 PM, Calum Benson <Calum Benson sun com> wrote:

On 24 Oct 2008, at 10:53, Bastien Nocera wrote:

On Fri, 2008-10-24 at 11:50 +0200, Vincent Untz wrote:
<snip>

It might make sense to stop shipping the shell, since we've never
really
used it in upstream GNOME -- don't know what people think, though.

We could also disable it by default, and have whoever is interested in
fixing its horrible design (eg. code not UI) ideas just do it.

FWIW, we're actually looking into doing a complete redesign of the control
center right now (from the UI side, but I'd imagine it'd end up as a
complete rewrite anyway)...

Cool.  Is the "we" Sun?  I think a lot of us have the same desire.
Would be good to work together on this.

Yes, the "we" is Sun, and I'm certainly encouraging the people who are working on it (cc'ed) to get their ideas into the open as soon as possible.

There's certainly nothing particularly Sun-specific about what they're doing, they're just not really used to working on this sort of thing out in the open-- yet :)

Cheeri,
Calum.

mailto:calum benson sun com            GNOME Desktop Team