Re: Ungnomifying the control center

Fwding a message from mpt.  He was having issues getting it to the list...

Subject: Re: Ungnomifying the control center
From: "Matthew Thomas" <mpt myrealbox com>
To: gnomecc-list gnome org
Date: Mon, 27 Oct 2008 22:38:14 +0000

Bastien Nocera wrote on 24/10/08 10:53:

> On Fri, 2008-10-24 at 11:50 +0200, Vincent Untz
> wrote:
>> It might make sense to stop shipping the shell,
>> since we've never really used it in upstream GNOME
>> -- don't know what people think, though.
>
> We could also disable it by default, and have
> whoever is interested in fixing its horrible design
> (eg. code not UI) ideas just do it.

I was researching this on Friday, and realized that Gnome is now the only m=
ajor operating environment that doesn't have a unified control center.

Windows Vista, Mac OS X, and KDE all have a single window for changing syst=
em settings. All of them organize settings by category. All of them let y=
ou search by name or by synonym (for example in the KDE System Settings, =
searching for "proxy" highlights the "Network Settings" panel). And all o=
f them let you navigate back and forward between panels, so you only have=
 one window to close when you're finished.

Gnome is a long way behind on this at the moment.

Cheers
--
Matthew Paul Thomas
http://mpt.net.nz/