Re: Display configuration capplet

On Wed, Feb 27, 2008 at 03:17:03AM +0100, Soeren Sandmann wrote:
> > This may have been fixed in the latest code, which I've not yet checked,
> > but I've noticed some issues where when going from a smaller resolution
> > to a larger one, the screen will flash, requiring a reboot;
>
> If it requires a reboot, then that's an X driver bug. I don't think
> RandR 1.2 has been tested all that much yet, so there will likely be
> bugs, in both X and GNOME.

You were right that this was an xrandr bug.  Another common one is with
rotation, but it is unfortunate because it writes the invalid
configuration to monitors.xml, triggers the change, and then locks up;
when the user reboots, the settings from monitors.xml take effect,
causing them to remain locked up.

In this type of situation it would seem useful to have the tool display
a confirmation dialog like the Screen Resolution tool does, prior to
committing to the new configuration.  However, since the config is
written prior to applying it, there doesn't seem to be a clean way to
implement this.

Can you provide some advice about a preferrable way to implement this?

Bryce