Re: Display configuration capplet

On Thu, Feb 21, 2008 at 02:44:28AM +0100, Soeren Sandmann wrote:
> Bryce Harrington <bryce canonical com> writes:
> > On Thu, Feb 14, 2008 at 03:45:25AM +0100, Soeren Sandmann wrote:
> > > This is all intended to be added to gnome-desktop,
> > > gnome-settings-daemon, and gnome-control-center for 2.24.

Here are some patches for integrating this into those the three
packages, including updates to makefiles/autoconf:

  http://people.ubuntu.com/~bryce/Testing/XrandrGui/Patches/

Debian packaging, and debs for hardy are available here:

  http://people.ubuntu.com/~bryce/Testing/XrandrGui/

> > Thanks for explaining all of this in detail.  I just wish I'd known more
> > about this earlier.  Do you have this checked into a public VCS
> > somewhere?
>
> Yes, http://www.gnome.org/~ssp/randr/.git is a git repository. People
> with a gnome account can also check it out from /home/users/ssp/randr
> on gnome.org.

Hmm, when I do git clone http://www.gnome.org/~ssp/randr/.git, the
checkout only includes changes up to Jan 17th.

> > > When the user hits apply, the new configuration is added to
> > > monitors.xml, and the capplet signals gnome-settings-daemon to reread
> > > the configuration. G-s-d will then apply the new settings.
> >
> > Is there also an intent to provide the user with a way to disable
> > outputs?  (I don't know if this is a very common use case, except
> > perhaps for debugging purposes or something...)
>
> Yes, the user can select 'Off' instead of a mode. This feature may
> have been added since the last mail.

I see it now in the latest code.

> > Is anyone planning to work on this currently?
>
> Yes, I am working on this full time, but if you want to help out, you
> are more than welcome.

I've mostly been focusing on packaging the existing code this last week
but will try to contribute some time to it.  I hope it's ok if I just
send you patches here.

This may have been fixed in the latest code, which I've not yet checked,
but I've noticed some issues where when going from a smaller resolution
to a larger one, the screen will flash, requiring a reboot; when going
from a larger resolution to a smaller one, it looks like metacity gets
confused and only properly renders the portion of the screen that
matched the smaller resolution (toolbars and mouse still seem to
function in the extended area though.)  I'm guessing this is already
known but if not I can send screenshots or do additional
troubleshooting, if it would help?

Bryce