Re: gnome-control-center 2.22 proposals

On 9/17/07, Denis Washington <dwashington gmx net> wrote:

> On Mon, 2007-09-17 at 14:05 +0100, Sergey Udaltsov wrote:
> > Regarding the first "General" tab. Where do you plan to store that
> > settings? In gdm user session configuration? Would it make sense to
> > allow more detailed setup? For example, I know some people use Russian
> > locale (for date/time/...) but still want to see all interface in
> > English. How would we cater for that (if we would do it at all)?
>
> I initially thought of mapping the Region and Language settings to the
> user's language and locale. I myself like to have a German locale, but
> an English interface; therefore, I set "Region" to Germany and
> "Language" to English, done.

I personally think that this is something that should not be exposed in the ui.
If power users really can't live without it, they can just set LC_TIME in the
environment.

> The type of storage is a good question. It should ideally be
> system-wide, not just for system apps. Isn't there already a way of
> storing a user's language and locale? If not, storing the information in
> gconf and setting the correct environment variables in g-s-d might be a
> feasible approach.

The system language and the  session language are two separate things.
On Fedora, the system language is stored in /etc/sysconfig/i18n (and gdm
knows to look there). The session language is stored in ~/.dmrc

What we (Fedora) want to do in the future is to use PolicyKit and add a
"Use system-wide" button to the capplet.