Re: gnome-control-center 2.22 proposals

On Mon, 2007-09-17 at 14:55 +0100, Sergey Udaltsov wrote:
> > The type of storage is a good question. It should ideally be
> > system-wide, not just for system apps. Isn't there already a way of
> > storing a user's language and locale?
> AFAIK no, other than tweaking .profile etc
>
> > If not, storing the information in
> > gconf and setting the correct environment variables in g-s-d might be a
> > feasible approach.
> g-s-d is not a common parent IIRC so setting envvars in it does not
> make sense. We should either use gdm ability to setup the session
> locale - or hack gnome-session (if it does not have that functionality
> yet).
>
> Cheers,
>
> Sergey

OK, you know better how to achieve this. :) I was just proposing the UI.
Using gdm is risky as we cannot rely on it running (one could also start
a GNOME session from kdm or xdm), and gnome-session probably means that
only session-enabled apps would get to know about the language and
locale, or am I wrong?

Cheers,
Denis