Re: gnome-control-center 2.22 proposals

On Mon, 2007-10-01 at 19:44 +0200, Denis Washington wrote:
> On Mon, 2007-10-01 at 18:22 +0100, Calum Benson wrote:

> > Great start.  There seem to be quite a few features missing from your
> > Input Devices mockup that are in the current Keyboard Accessibility
> > capplet, though, where are they moving to?  E.g. import settings,
> > disable if unused for N seconds, beep when AccessX features turned on or
> > off from keyboard, to name but a few).  A GUI is required for at least
> > some of these to meet a new Free Standards Group keyboard a11y spec
> > that's due to be pushed out soon, I believe.
>
> I weren't aware of that. I left out "import settings" because I saw not
> much of a reason to enable the import of settings here while this
> feature doesn't exist for any other kind of settings, and I really don't
> know why it should be there. But it could certainly be re-added.

It's certainly worth asking the a11y team whether it's still required.

IIRC it was included because the users who rely on it need the AccessX
subsystem on a newly-installed machine to be correctly configured before
they can do much else at all, really, so it was seen as the quickest way
to get them there.  (Assuming they had their previous settings file
readily-available, of course.)

That said, it's not much fun for any of us to manually recreate any
desktop preferences on a new machine, so perhaps the real solution is a
more generic 'preferences transfer wizard', that would include AccessX
settings.  Or, of course, the GNOME Online Desktop :)

Cheeri,
Calum.