Re: MOTD in g-s-d

On Mon, 2007-11-19 at 21:43 +0100, Luca Cavalli wrote:
> On Mon, 2007-11-19 at 08:14 -0500, Matthias Clasen wrote:
> > On Nov 19, 2007 7:21 AM, Rodrigo Moya <rodrigo gnome-db org> wrote:
> > > >
> > > yeah, console sounds better, so will add it today if, as it seems,
> > > there's nobody against it.
> > >

> > Well, if you ask directly, I think it is useless hardcore unix stuff
> > that only clutters up the desktop.
> > So please, if you add it, make it at least easy to turn it off for distros...
>
> Well, I think that if you don't put anything in /etc/motd nobody will
> ever discover this feature. On the other side, if someone writes
> something in moft, it is a nice feature to have it displayed also on the
> desktop.

yes, the problem is that most distros have something in /etc/motd, so I
guess we need to have a GConf setting, disabled by default, to show it
or not.

What we can do though is that, once the desktop is running, if the file
changes, we can show it always, regardless of the GConf setting. That
is, that setting would just enable/disable showing the file's contents
at login.

Does that solve everyone's worries?
--
Rodrigo Moya <rodrigo gnome-db org>