Re: Sub-tabs in capplets

On 22.03.2007 20:24, Denis Washington wrote:
> Notebooks in notebooks don't really fullfill these requirements;
> they jump into the eye too much and also look a bit weird. So I propose
> to add a group of toggle buttons to the top of the content  of those
> tabs which need them. They can be separated from the actual content by a
> separator. The following link shows a mockup of this (it shows a dialog
> that combines the options of the "Keyboard" and "Keyboard Accessibility"
> capplets):
>
> http://ultimum-projekt.de/mockups/keyboard.html
>
> As I already said, I just want to add this kind of second-level
> organization if and ONLY IF REALLY NEEDED. It may be also be practical
> for certain situations in which tabs are very closely related (like
> "Layout" and "Layout Options"), but that's another story.

Apart from the fact that the mockups have a "General" category and
multiple "General" subcategories, I think it's really non-obvious that
the toggle buttons act as deputy tabs.

While tabs give some visual hints which page the belong to, the
buttons appear completely separate from the other content. Adding
a separator doesn't really help there.

If we can't manage to remove enough stuff that the second level of
tabs becomes unnecessary, maybe we can come up with a cunning scheme
to make them all first-level tabs?

Jens