Re: Issues with the appearance capplet

On Sat, 16 Jun 2007 17:03:37 -0400
"Matthias Clasen" <matthias clasen gmail com> wrote:

> Here are some comments based on the appearance capplet in 2.19.3; I
> would file bugs for these, but there is no component for the
> appearance capplet yet...

Thanks for your comments! I only wish I had more time to work on it at
the moment, but my thanks to Denis and Jens for doing lots of the
work.

> - "Change background" in the nautilus context menu on the desktop is
> broken now, since gnome-background-properties has vanished. At the
> very least, the new capplet needs to grow an option to show the
> background tab initially.

It should really have options to bring any one of the tabs initially,
but background is at least one of the most important for this features.

> - The background tab is only showing thumbnails. This is a regression
> compared to the background capplet, which showed some useful metadata.

I disagree that this is a regression. I don't think the metadata was all
that useful.

> - The capplet has some issues where it is not willing to shrink back
> to its old width
>   after it has  been made wider.

Odd. Perhaps an issue with GtkIconView?

> - In the "Theme Details" dialog, the theme names in the various theme
> lists (Controls, Window Boreder, Icons) have no reason to be bold,
> imo.

Agreed, the item names should not be bold.

> - The "Pointer" tab shows no cursor themes

As an aside, we ought to make sure the Icons tab doesn't contain
Pointer themes. There is a bug open about this but it is tricky because
of the way X cursor themes have been designed.

> - The label for the Toolbar button setting seems to be cut off on the
> "Interface"
>   tab.

Seems to be OK here? Maybe this has been fixed.

Regards,

Thomas