help needed for error fixing

I need help for finding a gnome error. Unfortunately I do not know what
package / package configuration is causing the error.

When starting gnome-2.18 I have an empty top panel, two desktop buttons
(home, trash) and a black background. The mouse accelleration is too
high and barely usable.

I can add a menu to the panel. Applications are shown in the menu, but
without icons. When I lock out and back in again, my settings are lost.

I have compiled all packages (www.linuxfromscratch.org/blfs) and
installation was without errors. I guess I have made errors with some
configuration.

What can I check? Which variables, configuration settings ... What
programs have to be in which places?

Sometimes I get the error that gconf is not configured right or metacity
is not installed (which it is).

Hints and help is appreciated.

Olaf