control center configuration

I compile and install gnome from scratch just for fun.
When I compile and install control center, for all versions I have tried, the desktop preference window comes up with nothing in it. There are no icons or widgets...nothing. When I run gnome-control-center on SuSE or Debian installs the window contains preference icons. When I go to the gnome applications directory the icons for preferences are there and work. I just don't know how to get them in Desktop Preferences window .The latest gnomecc from CVS only spits an error gmenu_tree_directory_get_contents: assertion `directory != NULL' failed

I suppose I am missing some gconftool-2 magic that needs to finish the install. One other point, I install gnome in /usr/local/gnome216 if that matters.