Re: Supporting more color schemes

Thomas Wood wrote:
Hi Giuseppe,

Hi Thomas :-)

First off, thank you for taking the time to create a patch for
gnome-control-center. It's great to have new contributors! Please don't
be disheartened by the discussion on bugzilla, but I think that colour
schemes is unfortunately a complex issue.

I think so, don't worry for the discussion on bugzilla, we want to produce good software. My patch has been a first contact with you, I am happy! Certainly I would like to continue studying a good solution for this problem. Let me analyze the problem.

I've managed to condense the "saving colour schemes" idea into two basic
requirements:

 * A user creates a set of colours (a colour scheme) he or she likes and
wishes to save it for later or share it with friends.

 * A theme author wishes to include a set of complementary colour
schemes with his or her theme.

The problem here is there is a conflict between the user creating and
sharing colour schemes, and the theme author adding a set of colour
schemes to a theme. For the user, colour schemes are independent from
themes but for the author, a set of colour schemes can be associated
with on particular theme.

Setting aside how the actual data is stored, do you have any thoughts on
how you want to solve this?

Regards,

Thomas

 Preliminary considerations

Actually, appearance supports only a single colour scheme that is stored into the gtkrc file in a given format or in gconf if modified. Thus, each theme has a default colour scheme for all users, registered in that file. If an user changes manually the scheme it is stored into his own gconf and overrides the default one.

 Cases

Custom colour schemes must be accessible by all local users and all themes because:

 * users want to add/remove their custom schemes;
 * users want to share with each other and world wide;
 * users want to install/uninstall other's colour schemes.
 * themers wishes to supply their own colour schemes set with his theme.

In my opinion we could manage them into a /usr/share/colorschemes/ directory using ini-like files thinking them as stored into "sets". These schemes would be shared with all local users and themes. At the same time, a themer could add his theme's colour schemes set, simply adding a file into that directory.

 Questions and possible solutions:

1) Q: how can we add and remove a colour scheme to a set?