Re: Appearance Capplet Ideas

While I was talking with Thomas about the problem of the Theme tab changing controls in the other tabs, I came up with a mockup that makes an external theme selection window accessible through a "Choose Theme..." button, which is above the notebook containing the actual preferences. Screenshots are here:

http://ultimum-projekt.de/mockups/apearance.html

If we can make clear to the user that changing the theme also changes his appearance settings, I think this could be a solution to the tab-influences-tab problem.

Regards,
Denis

Thomas Wood wrote:
Various people have suggested an all-in-one appearance capplet might be a good idea to try and reduce our proliferation of these settings over many different windows. Unfortunately, no one has so far come up with any good mockups (other than "let's cram all the current capplets into tabs"). So, I put together a glade file organising our existing options into the following categories:

* Theme - Anything to do with saving, installing and removing themes
* Appearance - Colours and styles
* Fonts - Fonts to use, and rendering options
* Desktop - What to display on the "Desktop" (i.e. root window)
* Options - "Look and Feel" options that don't fit into the above

A few of the screens could do with cleaning up and simplifying (Fonts for example). What are people's opinions on "Advanced" buttons so that we can keep the main tabs clean and simple?

The other things that are missing from the current layout are cursor settings (themes), and also any link to sound themes for the Themes tab. Perhaps cursor themes should be added to the Appearance category, underneath icons. I'm not sure how any link to sounds for the Themes page should work.

Screenshots are on the wiki page[1], along with a few notes and ideas. Please feel free to add any points of importance. If people would like, I can also upload the glade file.

Comments? Questions?

Regards,

Thomas

[1] http://live.gnome.org/ControlCenter/AppearanceSettings

I pretty much like the mockup. Besides of the things Rodrigo mentioned (maybe rename the "Appearance" tab to "Style"?), I only have one concern:

Choosing a theme in the "Themes" tab would change settings for control style, icon set etc. The problem is that the HIG says:

"Do not design a notebook such that changing controls on one page affects the controls on any other page. Users are unlikely to discover such dependencies."

So we may need some change here.

Denis