Re: Slab's CC

On Wed, 2006-10-11 at 18:04 +0200, Denis Washington wrote:
> Rodrigo Moya wrote:

> >> Personally, I think moving slab into a libgnomecontrolcenter would be a
> >> bit inconvenient if it might also be used in the panel. I mean, why
> >> should gnome-panel depend on a gnomecc library?
> >>

> > let me answer you with a question :) why should the panel, and the c-c,
> > depend on 2 more libraries (libslab and libtile), not in the platform?
> >
> > Of course, we could solve it by adding both libs to both modules as
> > virtual CVS dirs, but that means having 2 copies of the same library in
> > 2 apps that are running always in all gnome desktops. Of course, not a
> > huge problem, but why should we prefer that over a clean and, hopefully
> > in the future, in the platform, libgnomecontrolcenter?
> >

> Well, OK, you're right in this respect :).  My actual concern is the
> naming "libgnomecontrolcenter" for a library that is both used by
> gnome-cc and the panel. But to be honest I don't know a better name ;),
> so I don't really mind if we just stick with libgnomecontrolcenter.

good point, and in fact having that libgnomecontrolcenter is a first
step towards the wider libgnomeextensions that has been mentioned in the
'GNOME desktop integration lib' thread on d-d-l. So yeah, I guess we
want to start having it in control-center, and as we clean it up and
make it better, put it in a common place for all GNOME apps to use it.

Also, having the panel depend on the c-c shouldn't be that hard if we,
as I've been thinking, splitted the capplet from it. The c-c would just
then be the lib and the settings daemon.
--
Rodrigo Moya <rodrigo novell com>