Re: Merging "Proxy" and "Network" applets

2006/8/24, Pierre Mazoyer <pmazoyer gmail com>:
Dear GNOME developers,

I would like to suggest some ideas about "Proxy" and "Network" control
center applets.

First idea: What about merging "Proxy" (gnome-network-preferences) and
"Network" (network-admin) applets?
I know the first one is for all users and the other one is only for admins.
But I do not understand, why several users on a same computer would
want to set different proxy settings?

Eventhough I think that this is a pretty good idea, I don't know how we could merge a g-c-c (which acts on user wide configuration) capplets with g-s-tools (which acts system wide), since they have a very different nature. There are distros out there that doesn't ship or doesn't has support for the system tools backends.

I think that from the user point of view, proxy settings merged with network settings is a good approach, but we have a technical problem merging them (which should be adreessed).

Any idea ?

Second idea: Making possible to set distinct proxy settings for each
network interface instead of having a global setting for all the
interfaces.
This is useful for example if the wireless network at your uni/work
requires configuring some proxy settings but the local wired network
does not. At the era of NetworkManager, it would be more efficient, I
believe.

My 2 cents :)

Pierre