Re: keyboard + keybindings capplet

On Tue, 2006-08-22 at 16:17 +0200, Rodrigo Moya wrote:
> Hi
>
> Here's the mockup I've done for merging these 2 applets:
>
> http://blogs.gnome.org/view/rodrigo/2006/08/22/0
>
> I think it looks not bad

It does indeed look not bad, but I have to confess I'd feel more
confident if we at least had time to do some sort of card-sorting[1]
exercise with some users before such a big change, to get a feel for
what they think the most logical groupings are.  It may be that just
merging together the existing capplets in what we think is an obvious
way turns out to be correct, but you can never be quite sure... Users
Are Always Surprising (tm) :)

(I suspect it would also throw up a bunch of "What does that do?" and "I
never knew that existed" comments, which might be good candidates for
simplifying out of the UI altogether.... e.g. I wonder how many people
have ever adjusted their mouse sensitivity, or can even work out what it
does compared to the mouse acceleration setting-- I certainly have no
idea.)

Cheeri,
Calum.

[1] Which could just be a simple online thing, e.g.
http://www.rashmisinha.com/hcimethods/cardsorting.html , although it's
usually nicer to get a bunch of people collaborating in a room for this
sort of thing if possible.

mailto:calum benson sun com            Java Desktop System Group