Re: location management vs. session management

Bradford Hovinen <hovinen ximian com> writes:
> I can see your points here.
>
> I know very little of the SM spec. Can you fill me in on what is
> required for an application to support it? I want to make sure I
> understand everything.

For saving per-session settings, it's just a matter of prefixing
config keys with the session ID. Call gnome_client_get_id(); this
returns a string which uniquely identifies the current session.
Then get that string involved somehow in the name of your config
keys. Easy as that.

The other thing is that for apps with multiple windows, you want to
save the window state in response to the "save_yourself" signal on
GnomeClient - gnome-terminal is the best example, except do not copy
the fact that it tries to set the window size on session restore.
The WM should remember the window size.

Some relevant docs:
    ftp://ftp.x.org/pub/R6.4/xc/doc/hardcopy/SM/xsmp.PS.gz
    ftp://ftp.x.org:21/pub/R6.4/xc/doc/hardcopy/SM/SMlib.PS.gz

See also the ICCCM section on SM, it's about a page long.

The basic concept is very simple; the session manager gives you a
client ID, you load/save to that ID. The low-level interface is a bit
annoying, but GnomeClient conceals it pretty well.

Havoc