Re: An Idea

"Glenn Bautista Jr." wrote:

> Hi
>
>     I have this idea for the help system... What if we made it to be
> some kind of website which is fully integrated and fully customizable...
> or maybe we can intigrate mail and news into or something.... maybe
> like, it would say ...
>
>     Hi,"name" welcome to your total gnome environment... you have "no"
> e-mails in your inbox (or whatever) etc.etc....
>
>     And You can have indexes of all the help topics and stuff.... and
> you'll have a consistent feel for all of the help stuff etc. and it
> would all be themeable or something.
>
> -- This is just a very rough idea that went to my head.... its not
> polished, can you guys comment on it?
> I mean is it totally stupid, inspiring (yeah, right!), or workable.
> Thanks!
>
> --

Hello!

This is my first post as a subscriber to the gnome-workshop.  I'd like
to express my opinion on Glenn's idea.

I believe that a dedicated HTML help server would be a good thing.
Including help as a set of files on distributions is a gimme but... the
files should either be automatically updated by the GNOME Help Browser
and default to the ONLINE version of help when the user is online.  In
other words, autoupdate.  I think the themable and mail ideas are
interesting.  Let's make it extremely user-friendly and intuitive first
(it's already beautiful) then spiff the heck out of it.

I also believe that we should maintain a usability focus as long as it
doesn't violate stability, security and cross-platform portability.
Please forgive me if I am uninformed as to current procedures.  If
someone would like to point this newbie to a FAQ, I'd appreciate it! :)

PROJECT IDEA:
I have an idea for a project that I'd like to put before the workshop.
A kind of Visual Shell.  If anyone is interested, please let me know.  I
have done alot of preliminary research and design but need help with the
user interface.  I'd like to make it portable to any toolkit and OS.

--

Codifex Maximus~
It may hurt my pride to be wrong once in a while, but I'd rather be