Re: gws release w. Dia

On Fri, 23 Jul 1999, Alexander Larsson wrote:

> One thing i need for Dia is a help browser. I'm planning (some day etc...)
> to create a html based help browser using Mozilla. This is why i did the
> GtkMozilla widget. This is something that could be shared amongst the
> Gnome Workshop apps.

The best idea I've heard (suggested by Chris Blizzard I think) is to do a
custom Mozilla as a help browser. Apparently you'll be able to plug in
custom network access layers (so we can support URLs for info and man
pages), and you can take off all the superfluous buttons and just have the
basics. That might be a nice approach, so apps don't have to link against
all the Mozilla stuff.

Another idea would be to use GtkMozilla or a Bonobo component based on it
to embed Mozilla in the application itself, rather than having a
standalone help browser. I think a separate browser might be faster (since
you don't have to re-launch it for each app) and reduce library
dependencies.

Either way though basically works.

> Btw. Is there much traffic on the gnome-workshop-list? I thought i
> subscribed to it a while ago, but i haven't got any mail, so today i
> subscribed again.

Nope, not a lot of traffic, but there is activity. Most of the apps are
churning along by themselves. Elliot's been working on Bonobo versions of
various apps, and we're gearing up to make a web page or tarball or some
sort of Gnome Workshop event.

The help browser is an ideal topic for this list, so when you get back
from vacation we can certainly talk about that.

Havoc