Re: gws release w. Dia

On Fri, 23 Jul 1999, Havoc Pennington wrote:

> On Fri, 23 Jul 1999, Alexander Larsson wrote:
> >
> > One thing i need for Dia is a help browser. I'm planning (some day etc...)
> > to create a html based help browser using Mozilla. This is why i did the
> > GtkMozilla widget. This is something that could be shared amongst the
> > Gnome Workshop apps.
> >

> The best idea I've heard (suggested by Chris Blizzard I think) is to do a
> custom Mozilla as a help browser. Apparently you'll be able to plug in
> custom network access layers (so we can support URLs for info and man
> pages), and you can take off all the superfluous buttons and just have the
> basics. That might be a nice approach, so apps don't have to link against
> all the Mozilla stuff.

Yeah. I was thinking of doing a Gtk+/Gnome app that uses the GtkMozilla
widget to get at the mozilla code, but still look like a gnome app.

When necko (the new network lib in mozilla) has landed and stabilized i'll
look into doing an info: protocol handler. That should be fairly easy i
think. I might even look at doing a man: handler, but i might go insane
looking at to much nroff/troff.

> Another idea would be to use GtkMozilla or a Bonobo component based on it
> to embed Mozilla in the application itself, rather than having a
> standalone help browser. I think a separate browser might be faster (since
> you don't have to re-launch it for each app) and reduce library
> dependencies.
This gives licence problems i think. GtkMozilla and the libs it links to
are MPL and/or NPL.

 / Alex