Re: [gnome-women] IRC meeting about a new women outreach program

Hi Vid,

> Like GSOC, would apertium (or even nltk) would fall within the GWOP
> domain?
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Apertium
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nltk

I don't think these would fall under GNOME WOP or GNOME GSoC. It looks like they are FOSS projects that are independent of GNOME. For example, The Apertium Project was a separate GSoC project this summer with 8 participants:
http://socghop.appspot.com/program/accepted_orgs/google/gsoc2009

I would think that coding or non-coding projects pertaining to the modules under http://git.gnome.org/cgit are the ones that should fall under GNOME WOP and GNOME GSoC.

You could definitely run an outreach for these projects similar to the one done by GNOME to get women participants and we can have various announcements include both programs (you'd need to find mentors, select participants, and provide funding separately though). This can turn into GSoC for women before we know it :), as I imagine participation in all of GSoC projects is pretty low among women.

> Secondly, I'd like to raise an important issue of summer/spring
> timings which are usually EU or US seasons. It would be a lot more
> easier for everyone if there were a more flexible system of entry
> which was annual for participants from other parts of the world.  Ex.
> A 4-month cycle which is open for applicants three times in a  year.
> I do understand the complexities and huge overheads this would
> introduce but if its being experimented with fewer than a dozen
> women, its worth thinking about.

This was brought up in the IRC meeting too and is something we should address. I agree that it would be easier to address in a program with fewer participants. This also would work well with the goal for the women outreach program to be an ongoing effort.

Let's plan to put together the resources and the selection process for this summer first, and then we can do another cycle for next winter if we have the funding.

Marina

Hi ! I was unable to attend the IRC meet but I had some suggestions
and a question.

On Thu, Oct 1, 2009 at 10:49, Marina Zhurakhinskaya <marinaz redhat com> wrote:
> * any ideas you have about the program or about increasing participation of women in GNOME

Like GSOC, would apertium (or even nltk) would fall within the GWOP domain?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Apertium
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nltk

Secondly, I'd like to raise an important issue of summer/spring
timings which are usually EU or US seasons. It would be a lot more
easier for everyone if there were a more flexible system of entry
which was annual for participants from other parts of the world.  Ex.
A 4-month cycle which is open for applicants three times in a  year.
I do understand the complexities and huge overheads this would
introduce but if its being experimented with fewer than a dozen women,
its worth thinking about.

cheers,
vid
http://vid.svaksha.com ||