Re: A new home for the HIG
- From: Calum Benson <calum benson oracle com>
- To: Allan Day <allanpday gmail com>
- Cc: gnome-sysadmin gnome org, gnome-web-list gnome org
- Subject: Re: A new home for the HIG
- Date: Tue, 22 Nov 2011 14:11:41 +0000
On 21 Nov 2011, at 16:02, Allan Day wrote:
> This creates the question of how to host the new HIG. A CMS seems like
> a logical option, since that will allow us to show when pages have
> been updated and to highlight new content on a potential HIG homepage.
More specifically, a couple of the features we had in mind were:
* On the home page, ability to search patterns by text or tag, or browse patterns visually, or see which patterns/guidelines have been recently added or updated. (I wouldn't say these are particularly beautiful examples, but http://developer.yahoo.com/ypatterns and http://ui-patterns.com are in the same sort of ballpark.)
* Ability for designers to have, and users to see, at least some of the design conversation alongside each pattern or guidelines page that resulted in those guidelines/patterns. (Think MediaWiki's discussion tab, perhaps.) With GNOME design increasingly happening across IRC, git and various wiki pages, and feedback coming from even wider sources like bugzilla, Planet GNOME and Google+, it's not always easy for new contributors to quickly figure out how we got to where we are, and to avoid making mistakes that we may have already made for them :)
CALUM BENSON, Interaction Designer Oracle Corporation Ireland Ltd.
mailto:calum benson oracle com Solaris Desktop Team
http://blogs.oracle.com/calum +353 1 819 9771
Any opinions are personal and not necessarily those of Oracle Corp.
] [Thread Prev