Re: The last long steps of the gnome.org website

On Wed, Mar 30, 2011 at 08:22:11PM +0530, Frederic Peters wrote:
> Olav Vitters wrote:
>
> > On Wed, Mar 09, 2011 at 12:51:28AM +0100, Andreas Nilsson wrote:
> > > I won't go about with some kind of inpirational blah-blah-blah about
> > > how the last steps of climbing a mountain, when you are closest to
> > > the top are the hardest, because I never did that. I saw some dude
> > > on TV saying that though.
> >
> > I saw on a blog somewhere that the plan was that this would go live @
> > GNOME 3.0 release.
> >
> > Did you talk to someone from gnome-sysadmin or arrange it'll actually
> > happen?
>
> I am now CC'ing gnome-infrastructure gnome org to be sure.
>

> > I have some concerns regarding existing usage of www.gnome.org. E.g. the
> > www.gnome.org css is reused on various sites,
> > www.gnome.org/start/{stable,unstable} links, etc. Just switching without
> > planning will break stuff.
> >
> > Is there a document with migration plan?
>
> Not a migration plan but I tried a quick inventory of our current
> websites:
>
> www.gnome.org
>  - to be replaced by wptest.gnome.org (currently on socke)
>  - need to migrate wordpress and data
>  - switch could be a change in vhost configuration
>  - has a serie of well known URL, that should be kept (as
>    Redirect(Match) in apache config)
>
> library.gnome.org
>  - has its own css & images
>  - is migrated to new layout
>  - need to be moved from window to webapps
>  - switch could be a DNS change
>
> developer.gnome.org
>  - just a static image
>  - to be replaced by a second instance of library-web
>  - this second instance could be developer-test.gnome.org, with the
>    swith as a vhost configuration change
>
> planet.gnome.org & news.gnome.org
>  - to be migrated to new layout by aruiz
>
> mail-web:
>  - use http://www.gnome.org/img/logo/foot-16.png as favicon
>  - has its own css & images
>
> cgit:
>  - use http://www.gnome.org/img/logo/foot-16.png as favicon
>  - reuse images from http://gnome.org/css/ (e.g.
>    http://gnome.org/css/star.png)
>
> moinmoin:
>  - has its own css & images
>
> http://people.gnome.org/
>  - is currently broken
>
> projects.gnome.org
>  - use http://www.gnome.org/img/logo/foot-16.png as favicon
>  - has its own css & images
>
> bugzilla
>  - not using current stlye
>
> foundation
>  - not using current style

More:

http://ftp.gnome.org/pub/GNOME/sources/

http://mango.gnome.org/

http://mail.gnome.org/archives/ (this is not mail-web; requires
regenerating our entire mail archive; plus likely it is still in a svn
repository)

Last time the layout of www.gnome.org changed, it took a week or so to
find all the things which broke...

Ideally we'd have a live.gnome.org theme ready as well.

Known vhosts (most do not need to be checked, just listing all):
anjuta.org
api.gnome.org
art.gnome.org
bg.gnome.org