Re: The last long steps of the gnome.org website

Hello,

I am looking at http://wptest.gnome.org/. There has been a huge work done since last time I looked at it, wow! Here are a few quick comments,

In the front page,

For more GNOME news:
I would not point at planet.go in first place, especially for people discovering GNOME it might be confusing. I see planet.go more as "the voice of the community" than a news feed for everybody. Maybe we should point at twitter feed or the whole archive of the main page news, or?

On the bottom links,

The GNOME project
I would rename "teams" to "The GNOME Community" the same way as "The GNOME Foundation". It would include also the people's map, traditional meetings (confs, hackfest), the https://live.gnome.org/CodeOfConduct, link to planet.go etc. So it is more *people* oriented than just a team list.

Products
I would rename "Applications" to "GNOME Applications"

Products / GNOME is free software
I would add a link to a page "GNOME is free software". The page would explain what is free software, link to GPL, LGPL and source code.

Resources
Wikis are used for so many things, I would rename "wiki" to "Live documentation (wiki)"
I would rename "Code hosting" to "[Browse ]GNOME source code"
I would not link to jhbuild, this is pretty hot for a high level entry.

Resources / User support
It think there should be a top level entry, in first place, for users only: "User support". I am a user, I am lost on jhbuild page, where should I go? Documentation, forums, ml, irc, bug reports, etc. The GNOME support portal [1], and the GNOME support Forums [2] are doing a pretty good job here too.
[1] http://gnomesupport.org/
[2] http://gnomesupport.org/forums/
I am not sure who is behind and what is the relation between gnome and gnomesupport though i think they should work hand in hand (or foot in foot?)

News
overall I feel it is missing a place for general news on gnome. Another source for news is footnotes (http://gnomedesktop.org/) which used to do a pretty good job, though seems a bit down recently. Again, foot in foot work would be great!

I would put identi.ca and twitter on the same line, as the content is identi.cal: "GNOME tweets at identi.ca or twitter"

On the language selection:
It is pretty neat :) though I feel it non obvious. map = language? is click-able? I found it by chance. Isn't it all the opposite of GNOME design philosophy? An arrow down would help. Or why not just a simple permanent language list?

Another idea: why not keep this "underground" for developer resource links? And use the grassy middle ground for users, partners and press?
(the separation line could be more like grass/soil with little stones and roots)

GNOME 3.0 Desktop
http://wptest.gnome.org/desktop/
I would simplify the first sentence as "Get things done with ease, comfort and control"

<P>aragraphs in general
would be much easier to read if line's width would be much shorter (like in newspapers!) therefore organizing paragraphs in columns or boxes. For example: http://wptest.gnome.org/get-involved/

I could make a more thorough review and also help on content if you like.

Luc