Re: gnome.org accounts

On 06/09/2011 03:55 PM, Andreas Nilsson wrote:
On 06/09/2011 01:59 PM, Andreas Nilsson wrote:
On 04/14/2011 04:03 PM, Allan Day wrote:
I'm trying to develop some guidelines on giving accounts for the new
Word Press site [1]. Suggestions would be welcome.
So I think there are three types of account we could have:
A - Allowed to do everything, including adding new users
B - Creating new pages or editing existing ones
C - Adding news stories
And looking at http://codex.wordpress.org/Roles_and_Capabilities we get A, B and C with the "Adminstrator", "Editor" and "Author" roles.
I think we should go for those.
Ok, no real objections it seems.
I think the most common kind of people who are going to contribute to the site are either content writers or visual designers. We need to decide on what roles these should have. The visual design people need specific permissions beond just these roles, such as git access in order to create new templates and do wordpress theme changes, so I'll focus on the content writers for now. Anyway, it won't makes sense to give everyone the Administrator role (like we do right now). As the number of Administrators grow, the higher is also the risk that someone gives an account to "a guy he met on a party who did websites or whatever" (in good fate) and then you'll end up with spam, nasty pictures of someone's genitalia all over the site or removal of everyones accounts. Fun. So by default, if the content writers are going to do general content I would go for Editor, if mostly news items, I would go for Author.

For who to handle out accounts to, my thinking was this would be favorable when asking for an account: * If you have a GIT account already (will be obsolete when bug #652231 is fixed).
* Have done good work on design or content writing before.
* Are specifically asked to get an account by one of the current website admins.

Requests should probably be done as bug reports against the website module.
- Andreas