Re: Images that are part of the content <div> have an underline. How to remove this

On Fri, 2009-05-08 at 07:32 +0200, Jaap A. Haitsma wrote:
> E.g. look at the GNOME buttons on
> http://www.gnome.org/friends/thank-you.html
> They have a dotted line under the images because the images link to
> another page.
>
> I can of course solve it on that page by putting these images in a
> but I think it would be better to solve it globally. Also the image on
> http://www.gnome.org has a dotted line under the image

It's not just images.  It's all links.  Looks like somebody
decided to put a border-bottom on links.  It's a not-uncommon
trick people use to create an underline that doesn't cut off
the descenders.

Browsers know how to not underline image links (though they
do love those image borders).  But they're not going to do
anything special when you put a border on the a element.
So you have to go to extra trouble to remove the border in
cases where you don't want it.

Personally, I think it's just visual noise, and we should
drop it.

--
Shaun