Re: www.gnome.org

Behdad Esfahbod wrote:
Thilo Pfennig wrote:
Its frustrating that nothing happens on WGO.

It certainly is.

The problem is not all the
bugs or shortcomings of the website. The problem is the organization. I
also dont think that a technical new solution like Plone will magically
remove all organizational problems. Its easy to see bugs on web pages
but if those are not fixed the problem lies deeper.

I completely agree.  And judging based on how long it has taken, I'm tending
to thin the Plone system will bring in more problems than it will solve.

Concrete suggestions: Find somebody who will be the primary webmaster
(in a responsible sense, not so much technical) and find somebody who is
officially coordinating marketing efforts. There are many cooks but you
can never depend on anything that is said right now. Intransparency
kills involvement.

It's easy to say so, it's impossible to find that one person.  I have a
different approach to the solution: Lets install a readily available CMS, like
Joomla, plug it into our existing LDAP account system, make it easy for
everyone with commit access to create a web password and edit.  Then we can
mobilize the hundreds of our volunteers to keep the website up to date instead
of looking for The One.

I'm not sure this would be any different to what you have with Plone: it's a readily available CMS, it can connect to your LDAP account system, you can let let anyone create a password and edit pages.

The problem seems to be that no-one is actually doing the work to get it up to a live site. I saw the current state of play at the Plone Conference and it looks tantalisingly close. However, unless someone actually has the time, power and interest to put it on a live server and turn the key so that it actually becomes www.gnome.org, then it's always going to be "nearly done", as it has been for over a year.

I see a few people here trying to make it happen, and I hope those people *will* make it happen. Respectfully, I think that starting from scratch with a new technology stack right now would cost you another 6-12 months of re-work unless you suddenly find a lot of dedicated people with the time, power and interest to make this happen.

Cheers,
Martin