Re: gnome-devel-docs: Some candidates from d.g.o.

On Tue, 2007-09-04 at 14:23 -0500, Shaun McCance wrote:
> On Sun, 2007-09-02 at 20:19 +0200, Murray Cumming wrote:
> > developer.gnome.org has some stuff that still relevant but isn't
> > elsewhere. It's rotting away and isn't convenient for library.gnome.org.
> >
> > Here is a list of what I've found so far. They could be added to the
> > gnome-devel-docs module. If any of them are horribly updated then we
> > should probably just remove them altogether. I guess we should reply to
> > parts of this CCing the document authors and relevant module
> > maintainers, to discuss it.
>
> It might be useful to have a taxonomy for documents.  Here's
> a rough one off the top of my head.  Documents are classified
> according to three criteria: target, interface, and stability.
>
> Target:
>   Either a specific piece of software (e.g. GTK+, GStreamer,
>   Nautilus) or a group of software (e.g. Platform, everything)

Yeah, I suppose, though this is probably fairly obvious now.

> Interface:
>   External (e.g. developing against GTK+, developing Nautilus
>   plugins), or internal (e.g. hacking on Nautilus itself)

Yeah, though anything that's platform is external, and anything that's
non platform is at least semi-internal: It should only really be used by
a very few tightly-bound applications.

> Stability:
>   Platform (very rigid stability guarantees), stable (not in
>   the platform, but tries to make the same guarantees), or
>   unstable (can change on a whim)

Let's just keep the Platform, Desktop split that is already defined by
the API rules/guarantees for these two release sets. And let's keep
anything out of gnome-devel-docs that isn't part of the platform. I
think there would be much room for confusion if it contains
non-API-stable stuff.

> Documents in gnome-devel-docs should generally be
>   {some group, external, platform | stable}
>
> Per-software documents should be included with said software.
> As for internal or unstable documentation, it might be worth
> having a hacking-gnome-docs package.  Then again, that sort
> of information might be better off on the wiki or the mythic
> new CMS-managed gnome.org.
>
> On with the show:

I'll try to chase up the relevant maintainers about these documents, in
a week or so, if nobody else does.