Who can edit wgo (was Re: 10 days for wgo)

Let's agree on the permission levels we want and how to get them.

On 5/4/07, Murray Cumming <murrayc murrayc com> wrote:
People will hate not being able to improve stuff once this goes online
officially.)

Well, yes and no. If people think this is like a wiki they will expect
to get editing permissions just like that, if people think this is
like a corporate website they wil understand that they can touch pages
just like that.

As a reference, currently to edit wgo pages you need either svn access
to the GNOME servers or the skills to provide a patch (and get it
submitted.

Proposal:

- In the common footer for all pages there is a link "Improve this website".

- This page explain you can...... improve this website.  :)  Direct
links to bugzilla, mailing list, irc, translation teams and so on.
Plus some suggestions to perform actions that actually require to
login at wgo. Registration link is provided and you get a plain
account without needing human approval.

- The basic permissions of this account are:

-- You can create success stories that will go through revision before
being published.

-- You can create GNOME products to go through revision as well.

-- You can create translations to go through revision.

-- Ideally you can edit pages to go through revision.

- And you keep working in this mode unless an admin grants you
permissions to publish stuff yourself. If Murray is the user he will
get instant grants. If the user is R2D2 he will need to show the admin
that he is good editor to be trusted.

I don't know whether this is possible with Plone, nor I know the level
of permissions we can grant i.e. "now you can publish success stories
directly but for the rest you still go through revision" or  "ok, now
you can translate pages directly (in language X only) but you can
publish changes in the English versions".

If this is difficult to implement I guess we can go for the
traditional method, where people request and admins provide. We can do
it in a more simple way than until now, that Ramon has to do many
things manually.