[Fwd: Re: [Fwd: eZ and Drupal to be dismissed]]

Sorry for the cross-posting. Please keep the CMS discussion in the
marketing-list.

FYI, once the CMS has been decided we will discuss here and only here
all the implementation details.

Thank you for your patience.

Quim
--- Begin Message ---
Hi!

On Fri, 2006-10-27 at 11:40 +0200, Gergely Nagy wrote:

> Sorry for disappearing for such a long time, I've been really busy with

Good to know that you are again around.

> With my own investigations I came to similar conclusions like Quim.

This comment and the one made by Lee relieve me a bit.  :)

> I think we still have enough time until release to leave the remaining
> candidates in the race.

Well, I think everybody has had enough of CMS selection and we need to
concentrate in building a great website, learn a tool, create new
workflows and routines, have a real web team and a real team of wgo
editors.

I don't think we have that much time, having a look at the
http://live.gnome.org/GnomeWeb/DevelopmentTimeline and seeing the
average performance we have got in the previous months.

> it is no problem to have several "beta" staging servers.

I don't think professionals like Henrius or Ramon are going to commit to
build a site and mobilize other developers just to compete and see if
they win the prize. I wouldn't do it and I'm not going to ask others to
do it.

> Drupal has the most
> supporters, and while it currently seems least "ready" from the 3, if
> people want to work on it, and we think its not a waste of human
> resources, why not?

Frankly. If Drupal supporters want to squeeze the possibilities of this
CMS for the good of the GNOME project, they can work on guadec.org,
gnomedesktop.org and other GNOMEish Drupal sites out there that are far
from showcasing the possibilities of this tool.

Look, at the end my feeling is that only 6-8 people have invested a good
chunk of time in wgo 2.16, from which only 3 have been regularly around.
The composition of the wgo 2.18 team is still unclear, and again it
looks like we just 3.5 people regularly around. I don't see any sensible
reason to invest more time than needed in the CMS selection if in the
meantime other 2.18 goals are unattended.

> So I propose to start staging on all the remaining candidates, as if
> they were the "final", and eventually they will drop to just 1.

Sorry to disagree. I will wait for feedback during the weekend I will
have a deeper look to all that has been written and linked about Midgard
and Plone and I will come up with a CMS selected by Monday - Amen  :)

From that day we will start building the site on a fresh install mounted
somewhere.

> I'm glad to see
> focus shifted to those aspects after the initial "obsession" with the
> CMS :)

I agree with you here. However, it has been proven that we work better
and faster when we have something concrete in our hands. Working on
content floating in the abstract would be much more complicated than
start building real pages in a real structure of a real alpha website.