Re: [wgo] i18n url scheme (was i18n interface)

Ok,

these concerns are fine, and I perfectly understood them.

However this is not a simple matter, and my suggestion at this point is to start building the skin over the current set of "vanilla" products (latest stable release of LinguaPlone).

After that, run an iteration, see what are the differences between the implementation we have and the gnome i18n policies and work to leverage them, together with the Plone team (Alexander Limi worked quite a bit on this, and his advices are really worthing a look). This is because there are a small set of the i18n policies as stated on the wiki that doesn't really convince me (yes, I favour translated urls for different languages, for better indexing).

Else, we'll just start to throw too many problems in the process and have none solved ;).

Just my 0.02

Simone

On 11/16/06, Gergely Nagy <greg gnome hu> wrote:
On Thu, 2006-11-16 at 13:53 +0100, Simone Deponti wrote:

>         Requirement: such redirect must be cheap in plone.
>
> I fear it wouldn't be too cheap. There are ways to achieve that,
> however (access rules, I'm thinking) and it shouldn't be too hard to
> implement for a seasoned Plone developer.
> But I'd strongly discourage that path.

I mean cheap in terms of used resources. So the redirect should be
realized early on in the page processing, and not, say, after a bunch of
page objects and what not have been instantiated, stuff loaded from
database, and, especially, before any output is sent to the client :)
Should be a simple requirement.

What part do you discourage on this path?

> Yes, it can be done (it's a skinning problem). Note that if I go to
> see a content in czech, all of my page (except the "view this in
> <preferred language>" will be written in czech. As idea of usability,
> I'd prefer having the list of languages show each language name
> untranslated, eg.:
>
> Deutsch
> Francaise
> English
> Italiano
> Espanol

My concern is with more exotic languages, say Japanese and Chinese,
Thai, etc. Perhaps we could write "Translated name (LANGCODE), e.g.

Deutsch (DE)
Francaise (FR)
@#$%@ (JP)

>         What happens, if the requested translation does not exist?
>
>         - display error message?
>         - redirect to preferred (default?) language?
>         - both?
>         - submit bug report?
>         - invite user to translate?
>
> Don't know if LinguaPlone supports this, atm

We can improve such user experience in later releases, plone code
permitting :)

Greg

--
<Ivyshaur> No, we've been informed that listening to Rammstein is the best way to learn German.
<mrPants> You learn it very quick