Re: [wgo] i18n url scheme (was i18n interface)

On Thu, 2006-11-16 at 13:53 +0100, Simone Deponti wrote:

>         Requirement: such redirect must be cheap in plone.
>
> I fear it wouldn't be too cheap. There are ways to achieve that,
> however (access rules, I'm thinking) and it shouldn't be too hard to
> implement for a seasoned Plone developer.
> But I'd strongly discourage that path.

I mean cheap in terms of used resources. So the redirect should be
realized early on in the page processing, and not, say, after a bunch of
page objects and what not have been instantiated, stuff loaded from
database, and, especially, before any output is sent to the client :)
Should be a simple requirement.

What part do you discourage on this path?

> Yes, it can be done (it's a skinning problem). Note that if I go to
> see a content in czech, all of my page (except the "view this in
> <preferred language>" will be written in czech. As idea of usability,
> I'd prefer having the list of languages show each language name
> untranslated, eg.:
>
> Deutsch
> Francaise
> English
> Italiano
> Espanol

My concern is with more exotic languages, say Japanese and Chinese,
Thai, etc. Perhaps we could write "Translated name (LANGCODE), e.g.

Deutsch (DE)
Francaise (FR)
@#$%@ (JP)

>         What happens, if the requested translation does not exist?
>
>         - display error message?
>         - redirect to preferred (default?) language?
>         - both?
>         - submit bug report?
>         - invite user to translate?
>
> Don't know if LinguaPlone supports this, atm

We can improve such user experience in later releases, plone code
permitting :)

Greg