Re: *.gnome.org common header - content and form

Hi all,

On Sat, 2006-04-08 at 13:36 +0100, Joachim Noreiko wrote:
> I feel we're getting a little bogged down in
> discussing the specifics different designs, and we're
> mixing up content and form.

I guess I wasn't clear in my original post. My point was to show what
the gnome web pages would look like with a common header/nav, etc. My
assumptions were that a common header was a desirable thing and that the
pages should be xhtml-strict.

> Assuming we want:
> * a top link bar that will always appear in the same
> way, holding site-wide links
> * an local heading
> * an optional local logo
> * an optional local link bar
>
> (and that list itself could be up for debate ;)

This was how I approached the coding of the pages. I've thought about
what Olav said about the bugzilla page and I've come up with a few
changes.

I've attached an archive with the support and bugzilla pages (and their
support files). I also included a template page. The page is divided up
into these sections:

Header section - contains gnome logo, gnome name, page name, and page
logo subsections

Header Navigation section - contains a left and right subsection

Page Navigation section - contains the page navigation sidebar

Page Text section - contains a place to put non-standard page content

Footer section - contains the standard footer information

Each of these sections can be easily changed in the CSS or eliminated.
I've also converted a few other pages from w.g.o. and this seems to be
quite easy starting with the template.

> ... then we should first answer:
> * what do we want these two lists of links to be?
> * which sites need a logo
> * which sites need a local link bar
>
> once we have that thrashed out we can think about
> pretty designs :)

Good point and I agree completely. I looked over a bunch of pages,
especially those mentioned in previous posts here, and have come to the
conclusion that there are at least three or four variants that will be
needed. This argues for a very modular and flexible common source.

One thing I did note in visiting pages was that the sites that were the
most pleasant for me to visit and navigate were those that were simple,
clean, and had one common header on every page of the site.

Anyhow, check out the attached pages and see what you all think.

Thanks,

Steve