Re: Website update?

On 5/12/05, Murray Cumming <murrayc murrayc com> wrote:
> On Thu, 2005-05-12 at 15:35 +0100, Foster, Gareth wrote:
> > More long term, I always thought that it would be cool to have GTKmm as a
> > part of a bigger and better developer.gnome.org, ideally this site should
> > have:
>
> Sure. gnome-web-list is the place for that to happen.
>
> > developer.gnome.org/gtkmm             // the new gtkmm home page
> > developer.gnome.org/mono
> > developer.gnome.org/pygtk
> > developer.gnome.org/ide                       // lists ide's like monodevelop,
> > eclipse and anjuta

I think the organization of the site could be discussed a bit more
(eg, I'm not so into grouping all ide's into one category while
bindings are split up)

> > I think clustering all this around a Plone style site, with news, a blog
> > planet and message board etc, would make sense.

I've long dreamt of using Plone for the gnome sites for a while now,
especially with some of the newer products like PloneSoftwareCenter
and PloneHelpCenter... but I don't expect to ever be able to convince
any of the sys|site admins to do this.  AFAIk the gnome server family
doesn't run any big webapps apart from CVS or Bugzilla related items.

> > The most important this of course would be an MSDN stlye central serach
> > point for API docs and example code.

This is definitely needed.

> > Of course, whether this could ever be more than a good (yes, that is open to
> > debate) idea is another matter.
> >
> > Just my thoughts on the big picture anyway.

I agree and I'm more than willing to help.

If by some freak miracle people are actually interested in using Plone
(not that it's a bad thing, I just don't think many gnome admins would
be into the idea), well I do that for a living these days so I can
lead the effort.

Plone aside, I'm still very into this idea.  Are any of the people who
actually have control over the sites interested in any restructuring?
I'm fairly hesitant to do much with something like this unless I know
that the idea has not already been shot down or there isn't already a
behind-the-scenes effort underway (I found nothing in the list
archive, but I could have missed it).

-Tom

--
Tom von Schwerdtner