Re: gnome rss news feeds- questions and braindumps

<quote who="Luis Villa">

> Questions and a bit of a brain dump.
>
> (1) Any idea why
>
> http://ftp.gnome.org/pub/GNOME/LATEST.xml
>
> doesn't actually seem to show up in
>
> http://planet.gnome.org/news/
>
> ?

Not entirely, I have to poke at it a bit more to figure out what's really
going on.

> (2) is there a particular reason we're not including
> http://www.gnomefiles.org/files/gnomefiles.rdf
> in p.g.o/news/?

Always up for suggestions, however I will probably put things like these
into sidebars instead of in the main feed.

> braindumps:
> (1) I think it would be cool to have either a p.g.o/news/ feed that
> scanned google news for news on the 'gnome desktop' keyword. It
> happens that someone wrote a pop+google news->rss script,
> (http://yergler.net/blog/archives/2004/11/08/recording-your-15-minutes-of-fame)
> and I've set up a throwaway gmail account that is subscribed to the
> google alert[1] for 'gnome desktop'. But I have ~0 time to glue these
> bits together- if someone here has the time to do that, or knows
> someone who does, that would rock, IMHO. I'd be OK with either
> creating another dummy gmail account or letting people use the one I
> have if they want it.

If we can make it any cleaner (not using gmail->pop->rss->b0rk), I'd love
to. I've been reading Technorati watchlists for GNOME and Ubuntu for a while
now, and they're pretty good. The trouble with 'GNOME' is that you end up
reading about people molesting garden decorations and so on. 'gnome desktop'
ends up being thin on the ground for goodly GNOME news, because most people
just say 'GNOME'.

> (2) http://www.mozilla.org/ has announcements and news feeds directly
> on their front page, which seems to make it a more dynamic page and
> slightly more useful to people. Do people here have thoughts/comments
> on that? (They used to have a feed from their planet on the front page
> as well, but I guess they've taken that down, which is a shame; I
> thought it humanized the project a bit.)

Yes, the intention for the news page was to provide a good source of news
items for the front page, but I haven't wanted to put it up there because
we're a little thin on the ground with news sources. :-)

But with Footnotes and GNOME Journal, we have a good start (things like
tarballs and gnomefiles would be good sidebars for the GNOME News page, not
on the page itself).

linux.conf.au 2005: April 18th-23rd                    http://linux.conf.au/

                 "No shit, sherlock holmes com " - Mr. Bad